An LCD TV placed on the wall of your living room, lends an elegant look to the interior of your home. But a dusty, scratched, and spotty screen, makes it look unattractive. Touching it with dirty, oily hands or leaving behind fingerprints, affects its clarity. There are a number of cleaning products available that you can clean a TV screen with, including glass and other similar surfaces. However, an LCD screen needs extra care. Here are some tips on how to keep it clean and well maintained.
Read the Manual First
Before cleaning your TV, you must first read the instructions manual. This is the best way to find out what the right procedure is and the products that are suitable for use to clean a TV.
Precautions to be Taken
Before you start, you must keep a few things in mind. Turn the television off to avoid setting off sparks while cleaning. The screen is very delicate and prone to scratches; therefore, use a soft and clean cloth. Cotton and flannel are popular choices. Do not opt for a newspapers, paper towel, tissue, etc. Do not spray the product directly over the screen, as it can leak into the frame.
Never apply pressure over the screen while cleaning it; this causes it to have dead pixels and lead to loss of image in that part of the screen. Do not use strong chemicals like alcohol, ammonia-based cleaners, or window cleaning products. Remember, your LCD needs to be treated differently, compared to windows and glass doors.
What You Can Use for Cleaning
You can safely use the following ingredients to clean a TV screen:
- Filtered water
- Distilled water
- Mild liquid soap
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Petroleum benzine
- Vinegar diluted in distilled water
- Commercial glass cleaners (especially formulated for TV screens)
You must strictly avoid using the following ingredients:
- Tap water
- Ethyl alcohol
- Ethyl acid
- Methyl chloride
- Commercial glass cleaners containing ammonia
- For regular cleaning, use a soft cloth and wipe the dust from the TV screen and frame. Use a cotton swab to clean dust along borders and in corners.
- For accumulated dust, take a soft cloth and dampen it using one of the solutions mentioned above; wipe the dirt off. Stick to horizontal or vertical strokes while wiping.
- If you are wondering what to do with fingerprints or other oily, dirty spots on the screen, then dampen a cotton or foam swab and wipe the dirty area. Apply even pressure on the screen and rub it a few times to clean it completely.
These tips can help you clean your TV safely. So, follow them and enjoy the clarity of your television.